The Wilkes-Barre VA Medical Center, located in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, is a complexity level 2 teaching hospital which provides a full range of patient care services. The medical center is equipped with state-of-the-art technology such as the computerized medical record and tele-radiology. Comprehensive health care is provided through primary and tertiary care in areas of medicine, surgery, psychiatry, physical medicine and rehabilitation, neurology, oncology, dentistry, hematology and nephrology. Additionally, geriatrics and extended care services are offered including long term care, telemedicine, respite, dementia, rehabilitation, hospice, transitional care and a variety of home care services.
The medical center has 68 operating hospital beds (including 10 Substance Abuse Residential Rehabilitation Treatment Program) plus 105 operating Community Living Center beds.
The Wilkes-Barre VA Medical Center is part of the VA Healthcare - VISN 4 along with nine other medical centers in Altoona, Butler, Clarksburg, Coatesville, Erie, Lebanon, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Wilmington.
The Wilkes-Barre VA Medical Center serves veterans in 18 counties in Pennsylvania: Bradford, Susquehanna, Lycoming, Sullivan, Wyoming, Lackawanna, Wayne, Pike, Union, Montour, Columbia, Luzerne, Monroe, Carbon, Northumberland, Snyder, Northampton and Lehigh, and one county in New York: Tioga.
There are several health care systems in the community surrounding the Medical Center. They are Wyoming Valley Health Care System (Wilkes-Barre General Hospital and First Hospital Wyoming Valley); Geisinger Health System (Geisinger Wyoming Valley and Geisinger South Wilkes-Barre); and Kindred Hospital – Wyoming Valley.
Specialized Programs: Wilkes-Barre VAMC’s specialized programs include but are not limited to the Preservation and Amputation Care Team (PACT), Visual Impairment Services Team (VIST); Geriatric Evaluation and Management (GEM); Telemedicine, Tele-Home Health Care, Mental Health Intensive Case Management (MHICM); Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Treatment Services; Substance Abuse Residential Rehabilitation Treatment Program (SARRPT) and Traumatic Brain Injury services (TBI).
Outpatient Clinics/Vet Centers
- Allentown Outpatient Clinic (42 miles from medical center)
- Sayre Outpatient Clinic (85 miles from medical center)
- Williamsport Outpatient Clinic (84 miles from medical center)
- Tobyhanna Outpatient Clinic (42 miles from medical center)
- Columbia County Outpatient Clinic (30 miles from medical center)
- Northampton County Outpatient Clinic (60 miles from medical center)
- Wayne County Outpatient Clinic (46 miles from medical center)
- Scranton Vet Center
- Williamsport Vet Center
* Links will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs Website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked websites. The link will open in a new window.