The Director of the James J. Peters VA Medical Center can be contacted at (718) 584-9000 x6513.
About Our Facility
In November of 2004, the President signed Public Law 108-422, officially renaming the Bronx VA Medical Center after long-time veterans advocate, James J. Peters, who served over 30 years as Executive Director of the Eastern Paralyzed Veterans Association (now United Spinal Association). On September 26th 2005, the medical center was officially renamed in honor of James J. Peters.
The James J. Peters VAMC is a tertiary care facility classified as a Clinical Referral Level 1 Facility. It is a teaching hospital, providing a full range of patient care services, with state-of-the-art technology as well as education and research. Comprehensive health care is provided through primary care, tertiary care, and long-term care in areas of medicine, surgery, psychiatry, physical medicine and rehabilitation, neurology, oncology, dentistry, geriatrics, and extended care. The James J. Peters VAMC is a part of VA Network 3, which includes facilities in Brooklyn, Castle Point, Manhattan, Montrose, Northport, St. Albans (Queens), New York and East Orange and Lyons, New Jersey.
The James J. Peters VAMC has 311 authorized hospital beds and 120 nursing home beds and operates several regional referral points including Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) and VISN referrals for Medical/Surgical subspecialties. For example, the James J. Peters VAMC SCI Patient Care Center is the referral point for VISN’s 2, 3 and 4 as well as Department of Defense (DOD) new SCI patients.
The James J. Peters VAMC provides a broad range of inpatient and outpatient health care services and also has three Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOC’s) in Yonkers, White Plains and Queens serving Bronx, Northern Queens and Westchester counties. We also serve VA Hudson Valley Health Care System patients with acute care needs and referrals to subspecialty clinics.
Additionally, the James J. Peters VAMC serves as home to the Network 3 Telephone Triage service. This system, staffed by Registered Nurses and available during weekends, holidays, evenings and nights ("WHEN Hours"), provides telephone helpline service for veteran patients in VISN’s 3, 4, 5, 19 and 8 and 6 (for emergency back up only). This is the only VA telephone care program that is nationally accredited.
Affiliations are maintained with the Mount Sinai School of Medicine, The Hospital for Special Surgery and the Columbia Presbyterian School of Medicine. The medical center became fully affiliated with Mount Sinai School of Medicine in 1969 and has approved residency training programs in sixteen (16) medical and two (2) dental specialties. Fully integrated residency programs exist in general surgery and medicine and their subspecialties, psychiatry, general dentistry, oral surgery, rehabilitation medicine, urology, neurology, and pathology.
The James J. Peters VA offers graduate and postgraduate training programs in dietetics, psychology, social work, speech pathology, pharmacy, podiatry, rehabilitation therapies and healthcare administration. A hemodialysis unit for treatment of chronic and acute renal disease is offered, as is a radiation therapy service designated as a center for consultation and referral of complicated cancer cases.
The James J. Peters VAMC is a provider under the TRICARE Military Health Care program, which provides medical services to Active Duty service members and their families. The James J. Peters VAMC also partners with the Department of Defense through local and national VA-DOD Sharing agreements, including providing medical services to Reservists through the FEDS-HEAL program.
The James J. Peters VAMC Office of Administrative Medicine, with assistance from other patient care centers, frequently provides physical examinations and immunizations for guard and reserve forces both pre and post deployment.
Research at James J. Peters VAMC is world-renowned. Its investigators have been recognized for numerous noteworthy projects and they have received several national and international awards, including the Nobel Prize. A separate research building, built in 1985, is attached to the main clinical setting and has been recognized for achievements in research dealing with Viral Oncogenesis, AIDS, prosthetic devices for Spinal Cord Injuries (SCI), metabolic alterations in SCI patients, Alzheimer's disease, Psychiatry, Renal Research and disorders associated with alcoholism, tobacco, and digestion. A Spinal Cord Tissue Bank and a Brain Bank have been established. In addition, the James J. Peters VAMC supports accredited research programs in their Geriatric Research Education Clinical Center (GRECC), the Mental Illness Research Education Clinical Center (MIRECC) and the Rehabilitation Research and Development Center.
As a member of the Greater New York/New Jersey Consortium on Homelessness, the James J. Peters VAMC has been proactive in its efforts to assist homeless veterans. In collaboration with New York City and New York State they have been actively involved in providing staff and services at three area shelters. In addition, the James J. Peters VAMC staffs a medical health van that visits areas where the homeless veterans congregate. They also provide transportation for homeless veterans who may be in need of medical or mental health treatment.
The VA Medical Center in the Bronx is the oldest VA facility in New York City, celebrating over 75 years service to veterans. The Medical Center is situated on a historic site in the borough of the Bronx. Located on the highest point in New York City, it served as a strategic vantage point during the Revolutionary War. In 1847 Frederick Bailey bought several acres of land where the hospital now stands. After his death In 1889, Bailey's heirs sold the estate to the Sisters of Charity of the Catholic Archdiocese of New York. The Sisters of Charity constructed and operated an orphanage on the site until 1920. The Boy's Chapel, built in the 1800's, remains on the campus and is used daily.
In 1921, the Treasury Department purchased the property from the Archdiocese of New York for use by the U.S. Public Health Service as a hospital for ex-service patients suffering from mental and nervous disorders. The purchase was turned over to the newly formed U.S. Veterans’ Bureau by Executive Order on April 20, 1922.
By adding several buildings throughout the years the Bureau made the Bronx hospital the second largest VA facility in the nation, with a total of 1,663 beds, and the first veteran’s hospital in New York City. More recently, a 9-floor replacement facility was built through the late 70’s and dedicated in 1981. The modern replacement hospital includes an adjoining 2-floor nursing home and a 5-floor Research Building.