State Veterans HomesExpand Content (accessible version)
- What are State Veterans Homes?
- Am I eligible for a State Veterans Home?
- What services can I get?
- How do I decide if this is right for me?
- What do Veterans and caregivers say?
- Return to: Nursing Home and Residential Settings
What are State Veterans Homes?
State Veterans Homes are facilities that provide nursing home, domiciliary or adult day care. They are owned, operated and managed by state governments. They date back to the post Civil War era when many states created them to provide shelter to homeless and disabled Veterans.
To participate in the State Veterans Home program, VA must formally recognize and certify a facility as a State Veterans Home. VA then surveys all facilities each year to make sure they continue to meet VA standards.
VA does not manage State Veterans Homes.